The tradition was preserved with the opening of the Wishing Well pub in 1964 but has since been demolished.
Records show that by the 13 century Worlaby church, like Thornton Curtis, Barrow upon Humber and Ulceby, had come under the authority of Thornton Abbey, a situation which seems to have continued until Henry VIII’s Reformation.
On entering the church worshippers would have dipped their fingers in and signed themselves with the cross.
A rare incised stone within the church dates from 1325 and is made of dense black marble; it depicts a man and a lady with dogs at their feet.
Worlaby is a small village located on the western edge of the Wolds near Brigg.
Worlabys' name is defined as 'Wulfric's farmstead or village'. Scott Champion but its tower dates to the 11 century.
The new building incorporated several surviving Saxon elements, including the remarkable arch andparts of the north window.
Since 1086 when it was known as Uluricebi or Vluricebi in the Doomsday Book it has also been spelt as Wulfrikeby, Wolrickby and Werliby. There were also two Methodist chapels in the village dating from the 1850s.